Job Requisition:Life Scientist
Leidos Life Sciences is currently sourcing for future Life Scientist positions to perform research at the Plum Island Animal Disease Center (PIADC), Plum Island NY under a contract with the Department of Homeland Security Science and Technology Directorate. The overall goal of the program is to develop, test, and evaluate methods to decontaminate components of the PIADC facilities. The primary targeted pathogens are Foot-and-mouth disease virus and African swine fever virus. Research may include developing decontamination processes with other animal viruses such as classical swine fever virus, and potentially other pathogenic and nonpathogenic animal viruses and biological indicator organisms.
The position requires daily travel to and from Orient Point, NY or Old Saybrook, CT and Plum Island aboard government-provided marine vessels.
1. BS degree and 2 – 4 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with less than 2 years of prior relevant experience
2. Preference for at least 2 years of research lab experience.
3. Biosafety level -2 or -3 lab experience is not required, but all lab work will be performed inside BSL-2 and BSL-3 labs. Individuals are required to shower out of the BSL-3 labs at the end of the day after working in bio-containment.
4. Laboratory work will include but is not limited to:
• Viral infection of mammalian cells
• Detection of viruses and bacteria by relevant means, including biological indicator organisms
• Passage of continuous cell lines and preparation of primary cells
• Designing, validating, and testing of viral and bacterial decontamination regimens
• Maintenance of laboratory notebooks
5. Citizenship: U.S. Citizen Only
6. Experience with animal pathogens is not required.
7. Proficiency in using basic word processing and data management software is required. Reports will be written and submitted to DHS scientists and managers, and most likely to regulatory authorities. Manuscripts for publication in scientific journals and presentations at relevant conferences are anticipated.
8. Preference is for highly motivated, dependable, and well-organized scientists who are also good team players.
- Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Able to obtain clearance for entry on duty and access to the BSL-3 space.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Other Clearance
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Life Scientist2000Health
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.