Job Requisition:Engineering Lead
Leidos is looking to improve and advance our organization. Our program is focused on the delivery of data center services to our CMS customers and is structured around both current and legacy platforms in a consumption-based services model. We are looking to add skilled, energetic leaders and technologist who believe in cross functional teams, exhibit broad-based skills, maintain a customer-focused mindset, and have a willingness to step out of their work stream to get the job done.
With a “no downtime, zero outages” vision and mantra, we support a range of data center needs ranging from self-service to white-glove services, all of which are based on our customer’s required level of support. Our organization is comprised of a team’s supporting PMO, Security, Quality, Intake, Service Delivery, Engineering, and Service Operations. With these teams access resources from our functional teams supporting Network, Security, Firewall, z/OS and z/VM operations, Unix Operations, Change Management, Monitoring, Capacity Management, x86 Operations, and Storage Operations. Part of everyone’s responsibility is to help drive the new consumption-based services oriented model.
Now to you – your mission, if you choose to accept it as the Engineering Lead, will require you to coordinate closely with senior leadership to interpret and effectively communicate program needs, provide enterprise engineering expertise and be the primary technical POC, tap appropriate technical SMEs when required, interact with contract management, and establish effective, bi-directional, collaborative communication within our Program Team. Ultimately, these activities will be extended in communication to the customer. You will interact daily with technical resource which are fulfilling technical requirements for the customer. Your goal will be to work with all stakeholders to help Leidos ensure delivery of high-quality, robust and scalable solutions with minimal business impact.
The current work environment is on-site at Leidos in Winsor Mill / Woodlawn, Maryland with potential for on-site work at CMS (in the same location). Telecommute opportunities are currently being evaluated and may become available based upon teams supported, work hours, and work performance.
Under the direction of the Program Manager and Deputy Program Manager, the Engineer Lead provides oversight and manages all operational engineering activities for the program. These include:
- Accountable for organization’s successes and failures.
- Responsible for ensuring financial performance of your organization, including establishing budget, managing expenses, manage risk register, and maintain management reserve
- Responsible for setting priorities within the team as well as quality and product roadmaps
- Responsible for conducting personnel performance reviews, and oversight of team leads
- Establish organization policies, standards, and operating procedures
- Create and deliver white papers, presentations and demos in support of client or prospective client meetings, industry events and conferences
- Support strategic capture efforts by preparing and delivering demonstrations, proof of concept development and other technical artifacts as needed.
- Attend customer meetings and other events to support strategic captures
- Support general capture efforts by providing detailed, accurate, and current technical information about capabilities and programs
- Create effective, deliverable technical proposal solutions/content that conform to requirements, win strategy, and corporate strategy
- Foster and ensure a collaborative, service oriented, revenue driven environment
- Provide leadership and guidance to engineering and product development teams
- Lead network, systems and security architecture design efforts, managing all aspects of the system development life cycle, from initial concept development through deployment and sustainment.
- Provide technical oversight and mentoring to engineering team members.
- Clearly communicate objectives and hold personnel accountable for efficient delivery.
- Provide technical oversight and lead coordination efforts across the organization to ensure solutions satisfy customer and business needs with minimal impact to other functional areas.
- Coordinate closely with client leadership and engineering team members to establish a clear understanding of business needs, drive design choices, and develop effective technology deployment strategies that allow for future growth and improvements.
- Lead engineering and product development lifecycle and development work stream
- Oversee configuration and risk management activities and develop strategies for process improvements.
- Communicate effectively with stakeholders across the organization to gain the necessary support for the successful integration of new technologies and enhancements to existing systems.
- Establish and enforce standard procedures for product selection and system design changes that include an impact analysis and coordination of activities across all functional areas of the organization.
- Broad understanding of developing and building IT technologies in network and cloud services.
- Manage team of experienced, independent professionals
- Manage Firewall, Networking and Tools teams (21 total people)
- Ensure distribution of assignments and tasking to ensure complete coverage of all assigned tasks.
- Ensure tasks are completed as planned.
- Ensure teams design solutions that maximize use of standards, automation, zero downtime, and ability for operations teams to self-support.
- Complete service and change requests on schedule.
- Manage and optimize costs with close focus on under runs and over runs.
- You will be responsible for financial management of your team, which includes hardware, software, and staffing.
- Manage all your assets, refresh them on appropriate schedules, and ensure they are tracked properly in the CMDB.
- Manage all personnel needs and interact with HR when required.
- Perform annual personnel write-ups and reviews.
- Ensure personnel performance.
- Review and approve weekly personnel approvals.
- Ensure that any technical proposal needs are supported.
- Must be experienced in developing strategic plans for deployment of network & security services system architecture, and systems upgrades.
- Previous experience as a Lead Engineer or Chief Architect with hands-on experience in multiple, diverse network, systems and security technologies.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills, dealing with complex architectures supporting multiple stakeholders and business operations.
- Expertise in managing network architecture projects and operations across multiple IT disciplines.
- Expertise in understanding and mitigating risks to business operations.
- Broad understanding of developing and building leading edge IT technologies in network and cloud services is a must
- Ability to complete the responsibilities outlined above.
- Previous experience managing a NOC, SOC, or operations center.
- Intermediate level capability with Microsoft Project with the ability to build a range of project, and program schedules.
- Ability to resource load schedules and properly estimate relationships and durations.
- Good – Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to manage conflict effectively.
- Ability to adapt and be productive in a dynamic environment.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills supporting multiple stakeholders and business operations.
- Expertise in understanding and mitigating risks to business operations.
- Self-starter, self-managed, and a team player.
- Program schedule, cost, scope, and performance knowledge.
- Agile-based knowledge and skill.
BA/BS or equivalent experience and 8+ years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 6+ years of prior relevant experience. Generally has 4+ years of experience supervising or leading teams or projects. Experience may be substituted in lieu of degree.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification
- ITIL certification
- Ability to obtain a Public Trust clearance
All candidates supporting the CMS programs must have lived in the United States at least three (3) out of the last five (5) years prior in order to be considered.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Engineering1000Health
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.